The explanatory notes herein are intended to assist Registered Persons namely Professional Engineers with Practicing Certificate, Professional Engineers and Inspector of Works in fulfilling the Continuing Professional Development (CPD)Requirement by BEM. They are in furtherance of Section 4(1)(ec) of Registration of Engineers Act 1967 (Revised 2015) and BEM Circular No.002 on CPD Requirements dated 6 Feb 2017.
These explanatory notes would be able to assist Organizers of CPD Activities and Training Providers seeking BEM pre-approved CPD Activities.
CPD REQUIREMENTS AS DETAILED IN BEM CIRCULAR NO. 002 DATED 6 FEB 2017
- The annual CPD Hours required to be obtained by a Professional Engineers with Practicing Certificate (PEPC) shall be 50 CPD Hours.
- The annual CPD Hours required to be obtained by a Professional Engineers (PE) shall be 25 CPD Hours.
- A Registered PEPC/PE, accompanying the application for the renewal of the annual Certificate of Registration before the end of the rolling third consecutive year, shall submit the minimum of 150/75 CPD Hours respectively.
- The triennial CPD Hours required to be obtained by an Inspector of Works (IOW) shall be 30 CPD Hours.
- Details of allowable maximum CPD Hours for each CPD Activities are provided in BEM Circular No. 002 - Continuing Professional Development (CPD) Requirements.
CPD EXEMPTION POLICY
- CPD is a mandatory requirement for all PEPC/PE/IOW. However, the PEPC/PE/IOW may apply for CPD Exemption.
- Consideration on Applications for CPD Exemptions will be on a case-to-case basis.
- The age of the applicant (above 65 years) shall not be a qualification or acceptable reason for exemption approval.
- ‘Partial exemption’ is no longer applicable.
- Application for CPD Exemptions click here can be made to BEM on a yearly basis supported by a Self-Declaration Letter on the following:
|PEPC||Not practicing as a PE, nor carrying engineering consultancy business nor take up employment which requires the person to carry out or perform professional engineering services as defined in REA 1967 (Revised 2015)|
|PE||Not taking up employment which requires the person to carry out or perform professional engineering services as defined in REA 1967 (Revised 2015)|
|IOW||Not taking up employment which requires the person to assist the PE in the supervision of engineering works as defined in REA 1967 (Revised 2015)|
APPLICATION FOR BEM PRE-APPROVED CPD ACTIVITY
Requirements for a BEM Pre-Approved CPD Activity
For a Registered Person, an acceptable CPD Activity shall fulfill at least the following objectives. It shall assist the Registered Person:
a. to maintain engineering and technical knowledge and skills to perform an engineering job competently.
b. to stay abreast with engineering developments, advancement and innovations in the relevant field of engineering practice as well as in general engineering knowledge.
c. to keep up-to-date with changes in engineering codes, regulations and guidelines.
The CPD Activity shall be not within the normal job scope of the Registered Person and would directly contribute to the engineering competence of the Registered Person undertaking it.
Application for BEM Pre-Approved CPD Activity
- BEM Pre-Approved CPD Activity Application shall be made at least 2 months prior to the CPD Activity date.
- Complete Application shall include the following items:
a) Official Cover Letter with Letterhead
b) BEM Pre-Approved CPD Activity Form click here
c) Activity Schedule (itinerary)
d) Activity Brochure *if any
- BEM Pre-Approved CPD Activity Applications shall be made by post to:
a. Unit Pendidikan & Latihan (Jabatan Pendaftaran)
LEMBAGA JURUTERA MALAYSIA
Tingkat 17, Blok F Ibu Pejabat JKR,
Jalan Sultan Salahuddin, 50580 Kuala Lumpur
(U/P: Cik Siti Balqis binti Mohd Nasiruddin)
b. Or by email to firstname.lastname@example.org with title reference:
BEM Pre-Approved CPD Activity: <Title of CPD Activity>
- CPD Activity which has not been pre-accredited nor pre-approved by BEM can be submitted as part of the CPD Program in CPD Record provided the details of such activity including; information of CPD activity, date, venue, activity schedule and speaker/s profile.
- BEM CPD Hour Calculation Methodology.
|Workshop/ Seminar/ Course/ Conference/ Talk/ Training (Physical or Online)|
|1.||1 Contact Hour||1 CPD Hour|
|Project Site Visit/ Study Visit/ Technical Visit|
1 Contact Hour(at Site)
*excluding travelling time
|1 CPD Hour|
|Annual General Meeting (Engineering society, associations & institutions)|
|3.||1 Contact Hour||1 CPD Hour|