It is mandatory for university graduate to register as Engineering Technologist if he/she wants to take up employment as an Engineering Technologist. This is in accordance with section 7(2)(aa) which specified that “An Engineering Technologist who is registered with the Board may, subject to Section 8, take up employment which requires him to perform professional engineering services.”
An Engineering Technologist is a person registered under Section 10(C) of the Registration of Engineers Act 1967 (Revised 2015).
According to Section 7 (1B) of the Act, an Engineering Technologist will be entitled to describe himself or hold himself out under any name, style or title using the abbreviation “Eng.Tech.” after his name or in any way associate with his name.
Section 10(C) explains the qualification for registration as an Engineering Technologist with BEM. A person who holds any qualification which is recognised by the Board shall be entitled on application to be registered as an Engineering Technologist.
The recognised academic qualification for registration as an Engineering Technologist with BEM includes the following:
- Engineering Degree awarded by Malaysia:
- Bachelor Degree in Engineering Technology accredited by the Board’s Engineering Technology Accreditation Council (ETAC).
- For applicants graduating before 1st January 2017, degrees accredited by Malaysian Qualifications Agency (MQA) are accepted.
- For applicants graduating after 1st January 2017, degrees accredited by Malaysian Qualifications Agency (MQA) within the six (6) years maximum from the date of accreditation prior to 1st January 2017 are accepted.
- Engineering Degree awarded by Other Country
- An engineering technology degree accredited by professional body who is a signatory of Sydney Accord (SA).
- Following from the Washington Accord, a similar Agreement was developed for Engineering Technologists or Incorporated Engineers, called the Sydney Accord (SA).
- In Sydney Accord, qualifications accredited or recognised by other signatories are recognised by each signatory as being substantially equivalent to accredited or recognised qualifications for the practice of engineering technology at the appropriate level within the engineering team.